Submission Guidelines | OJIS: Okinawan Journal of Island Studies
December 11, 2019
Okinawan Journal of Island Studies is a peer reviewed journal published by the Research Institute for Islands and Sustainability (RIIS) at the University of the Ryukyus. We seek papers written in English on issues and topics related to islands and islandness. The journal welcomes papers with topics that deal with interests or issues that are parallel to those faced in Okinawa with an interdisciplinary and/or comparative lens. The journal accepts submission at any time of the year, but by convention we generally consider papers that have been submitted by June 30th (Japan Standard Time) for publication for the issue of that academic year in Japan (April-March). The issue is scheduled to be published both in print and open access annually in March. For the most updated submission guidelines, please visit our website at http://riis.skr.u-ryukyu.ac.jp/publications/periodical-publications/ojis/. If you have any further questions regarding submission details and manuscript style, please contact the OJIS office at riis＠riis.skr.u-ryukyu.ac.jp.
1. The title of the paper, author’s or authors’ name(s), affiliation(s), and full postal and email addresses should be submitted on a separate sheet (the title page).
2. Contributors should submit by email an electronic copy of their manuscript as a docx file to the OJIS editorial assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Copyrights of accepted manuscripts belong to RIIS.
4. Formatting of English manuscripts for OJIS should follow the most updated edition of the Chicago Manual of Style. If your manuscript follows a style other than Chicago, please so indicate on the title page for consideration.
5. Manuscripts should use A4 or letter-size paper with the following format: (a) a margin of 2.5cm (1 inch) should be set for every edge; (b) text should be double-spaced; (c) 12 size font; and (d) Times New Roman.
6. Manuscripts should be no longer than 9,000 words, including figures, footnotes/endnotes (if any), and a bibliography. Manuscripts should be accompanied by an abstract of about 300 words.
7. Please add a short biography of less than 200 words. Information should include institutional affiliation, publications, and current research projects or interests.
8. Please list up to five keywords for the manuscript.
9. The terms “Abstract,” “Notes,” and “Bibliography,” as well as section headings, should be in boldface; subsection headings should be in boldface and italics. If endnotes are used, they should follow the body of the paper and be followed by the list of works cited.
10. All submissions must be formatted according to these guidelines in order to be considered for publication.
1. Book reviews should be no longer than 3,500 words, including figures, footnotes/endnotes (if any), and a bibliography.
2. Follow #4 & 5 in the Paper Manuscript section above for formatting.
3. Please add a short biography of less than 200 words. Information should include institutional affiliation, publications, and current research projects or interests.
4. All submissions must be formatted according to these guidelines in order to be considered for publication.